Followers

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Post Surgery Update

Hi Everyone!

(Warning! There is a picture below of my stitches. It's kinda gross.....)

Sorry for the delay in posting. My hand/wrist is still very painful so this update will probably be brief.
I went in for surgery at 5:00PM on March 16th, a full week after my graceful fall on the ice. The surgery went well but took longer than expected. The dr talked to Jerry after and said instead of the 1 piece of bone that they thought they needed a titanium plate and screws for, it was 5 or 6 pieces and like putting a puzzle together. Apparently when I break a bone, I do it good! They had to keep me in recovery longer than expected too because they couldn't get my pain under control. I think she added pain meds to my IV about 10 times. It wasn't helping at all! I was finally brought to a room and told the nurse I needed to go to the bathroom. She helped me sit up with the warning that I might get sick from so much medicine. I felt awful but nothing came up so after a bit I was able to go to the bathroom. I tried calling Jerry's cell phone and just kept getting a busy signal. The nurse went looking for him. The place we had left him closed at 8:00 PM and it was just after 9. She had him paged, nothing. I tried Amber's cell phone and got a busy signal there too. While the nurse went to call security (we were getting worried! and thought maybe he fell asleep in a waiting room and didn't hear the page) it dawned on me that the cell phone would be long distance from Madison. The nurse came back and got me a calling card. I called Amy's house to see if she had heard from her dad. She said he was home! They had gotten wires crossed somehow and the message of me staying in recovery longer had been turned around to me having to stay the night! While I was on the phone with her she called Jerry with her cell phone. They came up to get me but didn't get there till midnight. As they were walking in,my pain meds were wearing off big time! I had to have Jerry go back to the car where (luckly) I had put my other pain meds in the glove compartment earlier in the day. The nurses on duty didn't have any orders allowing them to give me any because I was supposed to be home by then! I finally made it home about 1:00AM. I walked in the house and puked in the bucket the nurse had given me. :op
Here's the lovely club I came home with:

The week was spent sitting on the couch in my pjs and sleeping. We had a couple of really nice days that I couldn't enjoy.:o( I had my first therapy appt on that following Thursday. They just checked it and washed it with sterile water. I was supposed to get the stitches out today (Thursday) but it was healing so fast that they took them out on Tuesday. I had 11 stitches. It really hurt to get them out! I was actually sweating! Here's what the stitches looked like:

We also asked about the plate put in. She showed us this one and said it would be similar. The color depended on the size.

The therapy is painful too. The muscles and tendons are still all tightened up so things don't want to move too much. I also still have fluid swelling. I will need therapy twice a week for 6-8 weeks. The dr put April 23 for the date on Jerry's FMLA papers. He figures I will need help until then. I'm not sure Jerry will have to be off till then but it's nice to know he can if he needs to. He has about 500 hours of sick leave saved up so at least he will get some pay.
Today when I went to therapy Ihad to have x-rays done. They let Jerry take a pic with his cell phone. I couldn't believe how big the plate is! And there are 9 screws!! No wonder this has been so painful! Yikes! It must have been a mess!


Well, I better wrap this up. It is way longer than I intended. Hopefully I will be able to have a stitching update before too long. Hopefully.......

Thanks to everyone that sent cards & well wishes. They were very much appreciated. :o)

Hugs, Elaine

23 comments:

  1. Elaine,
    Thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope the pain recedes soon and you are able to get back to your stitching. Best wishes!

    Hugs,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you broke your arm, get well soon,may the pain go away sooner than the docs say and you are back to threading your needle!
    with love
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! Prayers for a quick recovery for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your wrist heals beautifully and will be better than ever! Sorry you are in pain...

    Pirjo from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Elaine what a pickle you have been in. I do hope your recovery is good and quick and you will soon be back to your stitching. Just take time and take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elaine,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your fall.I hope you get to feeling well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Elaine, you have truly been through the mill!! I am so sorry that you are in so much pain!! Looks like your arm is healing nicely! Will the plate have to stay in? Looks like you are doing well with your typing, but please, don't over due things! Take care and know that you are certainly in my prayers.

    Hugs,
    Fareeda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many prayers going your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Elaine
    I kind of have an idea of what you are going through. In my case four tendons were severed in my left wrist after falling on glass and it took an operation of two hours to "fetch" the tendons high up in my arm and they fixed my hand into a bend position so that the tendons could attach. The therapy was awful to stretch my hand open again. It never really recovered perfectly and I still have problems but at least my fingers can move. I hope you feel better soon. You will really have to take care not to fall again soon.
    Hugs to you.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elaine,
    I hope you are feeling better. That sure does look like it hurt. My goodness. Well wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope for a speedy recovery. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouchy big time. Oh Elaine I do hope that you are healing quickly and the therapy is helping. Actually try stitching a little. Best therapy there is! :) And you use your hands and arms. See. Therapy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my, Dear! That looks fierce. Great thing, sick leave! I'm happy they were able to repair it, and hope you can get through the therapy without TOO much more pain. Won't you be happy to get back stitching? Your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a break! Hope you continue healing successfully and w/o pain. I live in Madison, WI and also wanted to say Hi fom another Wisconsinite.
    Teri
    mtjacobi@chorus.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow..Sweetie that is Good and bad. Sure hope you get to felling better real soon. Prayers are with you...((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elaine, hope you feel better soon. I had surgery done to the top of my stitching hand about 12 years ago. They put in a five inch long thing that looks like a mirror hanger! Took about 6 months to get back to stitching, and holding a needle was the hardest thing. It will get better! Hugs, Jane in WV

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy cow, Elaine! Hopefully with the plate in there everything will heal very quickly! PT sucks but you have to be able to stitch ~ so stick with it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!Hope you feel better soon. Your poor wrist looks so painful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending you prayers that you heal very quickly.

    Hugs,
    Marl

    ReplyDelete
  20. My gosh, Elaine, you sure have been through a lot trying to fix your arm! It's painful just to look at, so I can't even imagine what you must have been feeling!
    Hopefully, it will heal quickly enough to the point where you can at least work on your stitching!
    It's great your dh can be there to help you, so take advantage of it while you can!
    Hugs, Debbie from CSE

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW I've been out of the loop! I didn't know this happened to you! My neighbor slipped on ice one winter and was at the bottom of the driveway, her husband in the shower and she couldn't get up. So she laid there for like an hour before he realized what happened. I now carry my phone in the winter...Poor Elaine...I'm so sorry to hear all you've been through, to say that looks painful is an understatement!!!! Healthy healing thoughts being sent your way!!!!

    Love,
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ouch! those stitches look like they hurt. Hope you are feeling better.
    DLS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Elaine,

    I had hoped that you would get to some stitching. I hope your feeling better. FYI the plate won't set off metal dectors.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments so feel free to tell me what's on your mind. :)