Before anyone wonders, the rabbits have nothing to do with dinner. :op
One day last week I saw a lady on the Rachael Ray Show that decided to cook every meal from home for a whole year. And she decided to use a Crock Pot for at least part of it each day. She has a blog called A Year of Crockpotting. Everyday she adds the recipe for whatever that day's crock pot produced. The nice thing is that if you go to the bottom of the recipe she has the 'Verdict' where she will honestly tell you if the recipe was bad. Sometimes her and her DH liked it but the kids wouldn't touch it. Some days it was a huge success. Be sure to read the verdict before making anything from that site. :o) Anyway, checking out this blog made me search for others. One I found is Crockpot Adventures which looks like the last entry was in October 2007. It does have some yummy looking recipes though. On Tuesday night we ordred Pizza Hut Pizza Mias. Josh got pepperoni, I got green olives and Jerry got beef topping. Don't they look yummy?
But back to the crock pots. After the pizzas we had the yummiest, easiest dessert. Only 3 ingredients! It's Crock Pot Cherry Cobbler from the Crockpot Adventures.
Crock Pot Cherry Cobbler
(this recipe works for a 2.5 - 3 quart crock pot, double it for a larger crockpot)
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 can cherry pie filling (you can also use apple, blueberry, peach or other canned fruit pie filling)
Stir melted butter into cake mix (it should be crumbly). Pour pie filling into crock pot. Top with cake mix and butter mixture. Cover and cook 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
We used Cool Whip but vanilla ice cream would have been awesome with it too. Last night we tried blueberry. It was yummy but I love cherry pie so I'm sure the cherry will stay my favorite. In the fall we plan to try apple. I know, it's pie filling available all year but fall just seems like the time to eat apple pie. :o) Oh and peach too....so many choices....
Now, about those rabbits. We live in the middle of a city (small city, yes, but still a city) and I think all the wildlife in town lives on our property. We have a chipmonk that is tunneling a city under the yard. Some parts of the yard actually seem to be sinking. What I'm wondering is where is all the extra dirt going? There are holes everywhere but no little dirt piles. Anyone know how to get rid of him? Or them? He's really cute and I don't want to hurt him but.... Then there are the squirrels that have taken up residence in the attic of our garage. When we pull in or out of the driveway we sometimes have a little face peering out of the hole they made! When we go in the garage one might run up the wall! Our garage IS connected to the house by a breezeway. It's not like it's way out or anything. Anyone know how to get rid of them? They've been there a few years..... :op And then there are the rabbits.....Every year when we plant a garden (or flowers) the rabbits eat everything (except the tomatoes. Have you ever smelled your hands after touching a tomato plant? They stink!) So this year we planted the garden and put a 3 foot tall deer fence around it.
We used stakes tohold it to the ground between the posts so the rabbits couldn't go under it. We thought it was working until the green pepper plants started looking like they were getting eaten. Then the jalapino plant about disappeared! Apparently the plant isn't spicy. Then one day I looked out back and sure enough, there was a rabbit in the garden! I went out back and I have to say, I know it sounds mean but I laughed watching the poor thing try to get out. It kept jumping and boucing off the fence! It's a fabric fence so I'm sure it didn't hurt. But it was really scared. It just looked funny. So we started spraying some stuff around the garden that is supposed to keep them away. It's really stinky (I think like animal pee) It can't be sprayed on plants we will eat so we just sprayed it about 8-10 inches away from the garden. Well, it was working because the pepper plants started growing! Then....it happened again. The plants were getting eaten and the pepper plants stopped growing. We had resprayed so I'm not sure what was up with that. Then I saw him in the garden again! I went out back and he did the bouncing thing again. The I saw him sneak out the bottom of the fence! I looked and there was a hole about 6 inches tall! So off we went to get some chicken wire fencing. It's only 2 feet tall but they can't chew through it. (I hope!) They can't jump over it because we kept the other fence there and just put this one around it. We measured around the garden and figured we needed 40 feet of fence. That was giving us a little extra. We bought a 50 foot roll....and ran out about 3/4 of the way around! You can see in the middle of the picture where the little bit left is rolled up. How did that happen?? So Jerry had to run back to get a 25 foot roll! We also have this staked to the ground and have bricks holding other areas on the bottom.
So now we have officially paid more for the veggies in our garden that we would have paid at the store. I love having a garden but I really have to wonder if it's worth it.
So that's my world. Exciting, I know. I haven't gotten too much stitching done in the last few days. I am working on a small finished exchange piece that isn't really too small. I love it though and it's fun to work on. I'm also working on a round robin piece of Garfield in a Christmas tree. It's fun to work on but I had to take a break from the green for a while. :op I promise to have a few stitching updates either later today or tomorrow. No finishes but some WIP updates.
I better post this before it disappears again.
Have a wonderful day everyone and thanks for reading my blog. Remember, I love comments so I know who was here. :o)
{{{{{Hugs}}}}}
















































HAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you have been having "fun" with your bunny's. They like to lay in the dirt and snooze under my tomatoe plants--I dont try the fencing-too much work--LOL So far they haven't done much damage,but then we have a lot of clover for them to eat. I got a nice size cucumber out of the garden yesterday-made a great salad-The rains we had did more more damage to my garden than any rabbit could-oh well such is life-have a great day-ttyl-love mom
ReplyDeleteHi Elaine. I love reading your blog. Sorry just had to laugh at all your animal troubles. We are weird ones that attract animals. Maybe since we feed them everywhere else they leave our garden alone. Good Luck learning to deal with them.
ReplyDeleteTry sprinkling your stuff with cayenne pepper. I've done that and it seems to work.
ReplyDeleteThose cute little things can be such pests!! Hope your solution works :)
ReplyDelete