Last Wednesday me and Emma made some clay. This clay is much better and softer than any you can buy.
I always hated that the Play doh clay was so stiff that it was hard for the kids to shape or roll out.
This homemade one is super soft and lasts a really long time in a plastic container or ziploc bag.
We made one batch but divided it in half because Emma wanted purple and blue. I was out of food colors so Tracey (Emma's mommy) brought what she had. These were cool neon colors. I've never seen them before.
Usually if I'm buying food colors I buy the Wilton paste ones for frosting. I didn't want to use those because I was afraid I would send Emma home with colored hands. :o)
Here are some pics of our uncolored clay, adding the color, Emma mixing it in and finally getting to play. It took all of about 10 minutes total to get it ready but when you're 5 years old, 10 minutes can be a long time. :o)
We use kitchen stuff for clay tools. A pumpkin knife works really well because it cuts the clay but it's pretty impossible to cut yourself with. Also, cookie cutters, candy molds, anything with a cool texture. :o)
Here is the recipe for anyone that wants to try it. I have been making it since my kids were little and never had it fail. I usually do the stove part (Emma was on a stool watching it change from liquid to clay) and when it's cool enough let the kids mix in the food color. You might want to color it on wax paper, foil, cookie sheet etc. so the counter doesn't get stained.
Play Dough
1 cup flour
2 Tablespoons cream or tartar (in the spice aisle)
1/4 cup salt
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
food color
Mix together in a small pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. When mixture pulls away from the sides, remove from pan. (it will look like a ball of mashed potatoes) Split dough into as many balls as you want colors. Let cool until cool enough to handle. (I flatten it out and mush it around until it cools enough for the kids to handle) Add food color about 3-4 drops at a time until desired color. Be sure to mix completely before adding more color. The color kinda hides in the clay. Store in airtight container. Long lasting. Does not harden as fast or crumble like commercial play dough. It's completely non-toxic but tastes pretty bad. Don't ask me how I know. :op
If anyone tries it be sure to let me know how your kids like it!
OH! from my slideshow, for all those that asked, the horses didn't poop on anyone around us. I'm not sure if anyone further down the parade got pooped on. :o) If you are wondering what in the world I'm talking about, you need to watch the 4th of July slideshow in the previous post. :o)
Also, I was supposed to post about Louie's big owie and I forgot. So if anyone is still wondering, here's the story. I got a call from my son-in-law a few Saturdays ago. He asked me to take him and my grandson to the ER. Louie had been playing catch with my nephew Sam and Sam was showing Louie how to bat. He swung the bat and on the back swing he got Louie on the side of the head. I said I would be right there and hung up. Then I remembered I had hardly any gas in my car. I called Jerry who was out at the lake fishing and asked how fast he could get there. We figured it would take him less time than me stopping for gas. So I called back and said Jerry was coming. Then I wondered if anyone had called Amy at work. I called her and no one had called. She was to shakey to drive (neither of us was sure how bad it was, just knew it was bleeding a lot and he was screaming. This kid never cries when he gets hurt) I told Amy I would get gas and then pick her up. I called Jerry and told him NOT to go to the hospital the way we usually do because the road was closed because of the river flooding. He said "ok". When Amy and I were about halfway there Jerry called on my cell and said "Don't take Parker Dr. It's closed because of the flooding" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huh? "Didn't I just tell you that????" I said "Did you go that way?" He said "yeah, I forgot it was closed". Why do men never listen?? So they had to back track and made it to the ER just a few minutes before us. Louie had quit bleeding and crying by then. They took him right in and he was in there for a couple of hours. He got a nice warmed up blanket and got to ride on the bed to go have a cat scan. Luckly he was ok. He didn't need any stitches, they used some kind of glue. Weird.
The picture was taken on Monday, just 2 days after it happened. He wasn't supposed to play on the playground or in T-ball until the following Wednesday. He was in summer school at the time and one of his classes was sports so he missed that on Monday. He went to his own Dr on Monday and was told that it was healing really well and he could go back to play t-ball that afternoon and his sport class the next day! Kids heal so quick. Anyway, he's ok, thank goodness. It was scary. We were worried about his hearing too. But all is good. :o) He's a tough kid!
Until next time, {{{{{Hugs}}}}}
















































I loved making that same clay with my daughter when she was little. She thought it was great!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that Louie is allright. I know how scary it can be when someone gets a head wound since they bleed so much. My DS broke a glass table once and cut his temple, he bled quite a bit. I hope Louie continues to feel better every day!
I had that same play dough when I was a kid. And made some for my nieces when they were little. :)
ReplyDeleteOuchie on Louie's boo-boo!