Followers

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Totally Useless SAL

I'm guessing that at least a few of you reading this came here only to check out what the title means. :o) I did the same thing when I saw it on Beth's Blog This is an odd kind of SAL as in it's really NOT a Stitch-A-Long. You can stitch whatever your little heart desires. The part everyone is doing together is saving all their little orts, fabric clippings, broken buttons, beads, etc. for a whole year. In my case it will be for 6 months. Yoyo of Dragon My Needle is the host of this SAL. Here are the details:

The Totally Useless SAL will begin January 26, the date of the next New Moon, and end December 16th. New participants will be welcomed at any time throughout the year. If it is November and you are reading this for the first time, don't worry. There is no need to "catch up", if you feel the pull, join us.

You have to register by posting a comment saying you want to participate on this post so that we can all go to your blog to view your Totally Useless SAL.

Find a see-through container: i.e., mayonaise jar, fish bowl, jelly/jam jar, something you'll enjoy.

Containers may be changed at your pleasure -- but not any previously posted contents.

Every time you are stitching throughout the coming year you agree to put all your "stitching throw aways" in this container. This may include:

regular Orts (thread ends)
little snips of fabric
broken buttons you were going to use on that little Lizzy Kate flip it
a bead or two from your Mirabilia design
worn out needles
the labels from used up floss skeins
whatever you like, as long as it is, or rather, was (LOL) going to be part of a stitching project currently underway

You may include orts from any type of stitching project: cross stitch, knitting, crochet, whatever, but please do not include other craft leftovers such as paper crafts, rubber stamping, etc.

This must be a new collection not an ort container you have already been collecting.

Each month, on the date of the New Moon, or very shortly thereafter, you will post progress pictures of your Totally Useless SAL on your blog. You may or may not describe a few of the interesting new items in your container.


Here is my jar so far. I'm using a canning jar. The contents are from last night when I was working on Spirit of America Angel. It's just some DMC and Kreinik thread. :o) Hopefully it will be more colorful after tonight. Next update will be on the the date of the new moon next month. :o)



I would love to see more of my cross stitch, sewing or quilting friends join in. :o) Please let me know if I've inspired you to join. :o)

Hugs, Elaine

6 comments:

  1. I've already joined the TUSAL.most of this months progress was from great quantities of thread from stitching Siprit of America. Your's is coming along great. I hope you enjoy her as much as I did.

    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Totally Useless SAL, you have made a terrific start! I am really pressed for time just this minute but I will make time to come back and check out your blog a little closer, I just want to say a quick hello. Could you please either leave a comment at the blog or send me e-mail and give me a general geographic location for you please, we're keeping loose track of where our members are. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, I can never get every thing in the first time....you mentioned you were having a little trouble posting with a blogger icon... choose the Google Identity from the drop down menu, that will put the blogger icon in your comment and when people click on your icon it will take them to your profile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start!!!!!!!! It is fantastic that so many have now joined. I love checking out everyone's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start to your jar. Can't wait to see the myriad of colors you'll end up with month after month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great start!
    thanks for the explanation of the TUSAL

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments so feel free to tell me what's on your mind. :)