This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions to say the least. Last Monday morning Jerry called his mom to see how she was feeling. Since her surgery (see end of June 16th blog entry)she has kinda been confused and didn't seem to be getting better. She was withdrawn and sleeping a lot. We all just figured she was recovering from what was a very serious surgery. My father-in-law answered when Jerry called and said he was waiting for my brother-in-law to come and help him get mom-in-law to the hospital. FIL had gone to take some trash out and when he came back in he couldn't find MIL. He looked all over the house and finally found her in the bathrooom, with the light off, trying to find her way out. Jerry let him go so he could deal with what he needed to. Jerry talked to his brother later and found out that him, FIL and MIL's friend couldn't get her into the car so they had to call an ambulance. It took 4 paramedics to get her on the gurney and they had to strap her down because she was fighting. They ran tests at the hospital and later that evening my other BIL called to tell me that the ammonia levels in her blood were sky high, her liver was failing and they didn't expect her to live through the night!!! What??? I called Jerry and he rushed home from work (35 min drive). We went immediately to the hospital and stayed through the night. She didn't wake up. The next day was the same and we stayed all day and again all night. We were running on about 2 hours of sleep. Her breathing was very irregular and she would take a breath and then nothing. About the time we thought it was the last one, she would take a huge breath. She finally woke up I think on Wednesday. (the days were all running together at this point) She was trying to talk but her words were slurring. She almost sounded like she had had a stroke. That day was rough again but at least she was awake some. On Thursday she was talking a little better. She asked us "Ok Guys, what happened?" We explained and she was so surprised because she didn't remember any of it. Arrangements were being made for her to go home with hospice. She seemes to be getting better all the time but they still think her liver is failing. On Friday the hospice Dr told her she could have anything she wanted to eat. After the Dr left I said "so, what sounds good? A Big Mac?" Amber was there and said "Pizza?" She said "yes, pizza. Supreme". Pizza Hut is across the street from the hospital so Amber & I ran over there and got her a small supreme pizza. This was the first real food since before her surgery. She had been trying to eat but everything tasted bad to her. I figured I would be happy if she took one bite. :o) She did manage to eat just about a whole piece. Then she said it tasted salty. On Saturday she had turkey, carrots, banana cake, strawberry shake, tapioca pudding, jello, etc. (all hospital food) :o) So here we are, 1 week past when she was supposed to be gone. :o) Miracles DO happen. We aren't real sure where it goes from here. We need to have a talk with the hospice nurse when we get her alone. Obviously if hospice is there, they still think it is only a matter of time. But they don't know my MIL. She will do what she wants to do, when she wants to do it. :o) So emotions went from high after the surgery went well, to lowest low on Monday night, back to high when she woke up and now just kinda in between since we aren't sure which way to think. We are praying that God will decide to let her stay for a long while but we cherish each and every day we have. Since Monday, each day has been a bonus. Any prayers you might have are greatly appreciated. She came home today and all reports say she is happy to be home. :o) We will probably go see her in the next few days.
I went 'no mail' on all my Yahoo groups so if I have missed anything important, someone please let me know. I plan to go back to receiving messages after I finish this. I got very little stitching done in the last week. I had finished stitching my Spirit of America Angel Monday afternoon. With spending the week at the hospital I didn't get her in a frame (shadow box actually) until yesterday. So she didn't quite make it complete until July 5th. :op The picture above isn't the greatest but it's hard not to get reflection or flash on the glass. I will try for a better picture when I have time. I'm back to working on Amy's coffee pics (3rd one of 4 almost done!) and Amber's wedding piece.
We didn't go to the parade on the 4th because we needed a few hours to just chill. Amy said the first 45 minutes were almost all tractors anyway! I really think they need to put a limit on how many tractors can be in the parade. :o) There are more every year. Especially since a neighboring town doesn't have a parade so all their stuff is in our parade! Little Louie marched with the Boy Scouts. They each had 2 bags of candy to hand out so at the end of the parade they got a bag for themselves. (probably so they wouldn't keep the candy they were supposed to throw.)
We did go to the fireworks on the 4th. I forgot my camera so I just took a few pics with my phone but they didn't turn out too great.

My sister-in-law made July 4th dresses and matching pony tail holders for herself and her 4 youngest girls. Aren't they adorable?

She also has 3 older daughters and is expecting little girl #8 in September! Nope, no boys! :o) After the new baby comes in September Jerry's mom & dad will have 12 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren and Josh and Little Louie are the only boys. :o)
A few weeks ago we made the mistake of trying McDonalds Sweet Tea. Yum! It's only $1.19 for a big cup but it started getting expensive every other day. :op I love making sun tea but the jar is really big and takes up a lot of room in the fridge. Jerry remembered we had a box of new canning jars in the basement so I had him bring up a few. We bought a box of 100 tea bags for less than $3.00 and started making our own in smaller jars. That way it's fresh each day too. A little (ok, a lot) of sugar and yum, just as good as McD's.
The garden is growing good. This is the first time we have grown zucchini and I'm beginning to see why people are always giving it away. It looks like we might have more than we need pretty soon! Anyone have good recipes using zucchini? tomatoes? cucumbers?
Until next time, hugs!
Elaine
















































I hope things will take a turn for the better now!
ReplyDeleteI really feel for you with what you are going through with your MIL and of course what she herself is going through. See everyday as a little miracle with her. Your Fairy is just gorgeous!!! Go slow on that sugary tea!! Its going to stimulate your pancreas and make you eat three times as much as you usually do.
ReplyDeleteCourage friend.
Alice
Hope things get better for your MIL. Your stitching is really nice and so are the dresses.
ReplyDeleteWOW, its amazing how something life can be such a roller coaster, and it looks like you have been going around in loops and loops.
ReplyDeletePrayers are with your family, and I pray that your MIL is feeling better.
Congrats on your finish!!
Take care of yourself!
~Kim~
Wow - sounds like a real roller coaster for sure! We always associate Hospice with the end of life, because they are the ones that come in and work with the families then. I've been told by a Hospice worker that they do many other things not involving terminal illness; we just don't realize it. I pray that your MIL improves. When my mom was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms (after chemo) at age 85, the dr. in the ER told me she was a "very sick" woman and did I realize that while she might survive this episode, she probably wouldn't others? Of course I did and Mom and I had even said our good-byes, not knowing the outcome. The Hospice social worker came in daily and before she left the hospital, she laid down some information pamphlets. One was on living with a terminal illness. I was truly irritated with this, even though I know she was doing her job, but I hid that piece from Mom. Mom's PE's were brought about by the conditions surrounding her cancer - i.e. - appetite-increasing medicine, little movement/activity, and the chemo treatments that saved her life, but brought this on. Once these were taken care of, I really expected no return. Call me naive or optimistic, but Mom's still here and doing well, other than her osteoporosis, and it's been three years. She still plays bridge, goes to the library, and goes about her merry way. She's had a few setbacks, but none related to the PE's. So, long story short, I hope your MIL experiences the same type of recovery. And she's at least home now and happy. Will be thinking of you all.
ReplyDeletePS - Stitching is beautiful - love how you framed her!
wow, what a few days you did have! I so hope things are better for your MIL and that you and DH have had a little sleep.
ReplyDeleteHoly Moly... what a scary thing with your MIL! Good to hear she's still with you, though.
ReplyDeleteThe 4th of July matching dresses look so adorable on those girls!
P.S. Great idea with the mason jars and suntea. I'm goona have to borrow that one!
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes girl and you found time to blog? I feel so bad for you and your DH re: your MIL. I hope she is doing better.
ReplyDeleteYour Angel turned out so sweet. That will be a must do for me as well. My three boys are in scouts too. I'm glad because they enjoy it and it seems to be such a dying art. I hope not! Get some rest! Goodness knows you've earned it!
(((((HUGS))))) gf! I am so glad your MIL is doing better for now.. Your angel is beautiful.. and I always did like a good zucchini bread. Hang in there my friend!!
ReplyDeleteElaine,
ReplyDeleteBest wishes to MIL and the entire family! Prayers are being said that she'll be around much longer than the doctors think!
As for the zucchini, one of my favorite comfort foods is stewed squash/zucchini and bacon. I take about a 1/2 to 1 lb of thick-sliced bacon and cut it into 1 1/2-2" pieces. I slice the squash with a mandolin slicer and layer squash and bacon in a pot until it's either full or I run out of vegetables. I add 1-2c of water, salt and pepper and then set to boil. Once it's up to a boil, I set it to simmer for 1-2 hours, until the squash is transparent. I call it stewed squash & bacon. Original, I know, but it's my favorite way to have squash. By the time it's done, the pot will be almost all water. Let me know if you try it. *Brainstorm* You could set it up in a casserole and bake it in the oven, but that might be better for winter when you want the house warm.
Hugs,
Beth
Oh, wow. Although I don't know your MIL, I read the whole story with my breath held! I'm so glad she came out of it. That's so amazing. Here's hoping her liver recovers, or at least is no longer failing.
ReplyDeleteHi Elaine, Just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope your MIL continues to improve. *Hugs* DJ
ReplyDeleteI truly hope MIL is doing much better today. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
ReplyDelete7 girls and 1 to come!! Wow! What blessings! Adorable dresses:)
Glad you are back with us :) I am sorry to hear about you MIL, how wonderful that you all are able to enjoy her for longer than expected.
ReplyDeleteI love the angel! Where did you get the pattern? Maybe I should ask who the designer is ;)
Take care of yourself!!